Thursday, November 30, 2017

Mr. Men Show Redesign - Little Miss Late

Hello everybody, I just wanna talk about what this post is all about and why am I doing this.
I have been a fan of the Mr. Men and Little Misses franchise since the mid-late 2000s. Despite I was already too old to like something made for a younger audience, I became attached to the stories and characters that both Roger and Adam Hargreaves created. I originally heard of the franchise back in 2004 when I was 9/10 after finding out the UK Nick Jr. site and played a game about Mr. Bump finding the right bumper car. Then I rediscover it thanks to Daniel Coffey's old videos related to that series after regaining my interest of Thomas and Friends in Summer 2007. I didn't like it at first as there were only a few of the adaptions on YouTube at the time, but quickly loved it after all the Little Miss stories were posted afterwards.
Title card of the Mr. Men Show
Then my interest grew bigger after Cartoon Network aired the 2008 reboot done by Renegade Animations, and I love it ever since. A lot of people often might ask me why I love this show, mainly because it was the reason I started to like cartoons again after I lost interest during most of my middle school years and also gave me the motivation to draw again as well. It was funny and animated pretty well for a flash cartoon, as a lot of people think Flash is a bad way to animate, which I don't find this true as Flash is just a tool to animate. There are a few hiccups here and there in the show, but overall pretty good. Unfortunately, the show itself didn't last that long and ended it's run on October 19th, 2009. I knew the second season wasn't the great compare to the first season (writing wise), but I did think it could've been done better if they let it go on at least another season. However, because of how CN treats their shows by not giving enough attention and the fact there's hardly any advertisements or merchandise based on it, it was quickly dropped and only did repeats on Boomerang for about 3 years until it faded completely. Even the official website of the show and blog were removed around the same time. :( One of the things fans (especially me) like to do was to give interpretations on how characters that haven't made it into the show would look like in the show. It's not a new things, as various fandoms on popular franchises would do the same. But I thought it would be fun to do designs on how the book characters would look in the 2008 show style. And the other reason is because of the books' history of characters and I feel cheated that the background characters that show in random episodes aren't based on any characters. I know it's not important and imagine Dillydale is already big, but still, I like to see familiar faces rather than just generic palette swaps. I know not everyone's gonna agree with my takes, but it's just the way how I'm wired. There's some ideas that would work, and then there's others that might not. The first character I wanna show was Little Miss Late.
Little Miss Late from the books
Little Miss Late is one of the character Roger Hargreaves created when he first started the Little Miss books. Her story is that she is always late for everything and would celebrate holidays in the wrong time. One of the things the books have is either one of the these camps; that character would have to change their bad habits (Mr. Greedy, Nosy and Grumpy), that character tries to find a job that suits him/her (Mr. Bump and Mr. Slow), using their abilities to help others (Mr. Happy and Mr. Funny) or just simply a daily occurrence (Miss Scatterbrain). Miss Late was in both the job finding/daily occurrence type of story. I always liked Miss Late after watching her story adaption from the 1980's, mainly because of her theme played throughout the episode.
I originally did my take of the character sometime early 2010 as I was doing a tribute of most of the green characters from both books and 2008 show. I know she was never green in the books, but I like the color she had from the 1983 episode as it looks better and there's hardly any green colored Little Misses, even in the books. One of the things I did add onto her was that she had a watch (similar to how Mr. Noisy had a megaphone in the 2008 show) so she can keep track of time, but either it shows the wrong time, or just doesn't pay attention. The funny thing is that if the watch is on the wrong time, it's because of not Miss Late putting the wrong time, but because the watch may go haywire, like she's cursed. Because of this, she's not popular with the folks of Dillydale. The irony is that it's usually Miss Naughty who might "help" her because her pranks sometimes might get Miss Late arrive on time.
Left is the original redesign from 2010, while the right is the revamp I did back in 2011.
I decided to go back and redo the design almost two years later as I wasn't satisfied with it, plus it was it akin to the original look. This design was new with a different hair style and new color scheme. I went with the slightly darker green skin and removed the freckles as I didn't want to clash with Miss Dotty/Ditzy. Another change was the watch, as I made it digital to give it a modern look and made her eyes has lashes, similar to how Miss Bossy was given in the show when see was introduced in the second season.
Modelsheet of my Miss Late redesign
I later did a model sheet reference of her years later when I got back into the Mr. Men and wanted to update my artwork on the characters. 

I really hope you like this and maybe have an interest of what I showed to you guys! I might do more blog posts like this if you guys like it! 

Hope to see you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr. Men Show Redesign - Miss Trouble

Hey everyone. Sorry if I was absent for a month, had a lot of things to do for February, but I'll explain about one of these days. Movin...